Winter is far from my favorite season.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the snow (when we get some), Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and I’m always looking for any opportunity to wear a cozy sweater, but I’m just not a fan of the colder weather.
From the time of the days get shorter until the first flowers bloom, I just can’t ever seem to fully warm up. Maybe that’s why I love cooking so much — at least the kitchen is usually toasty! Around this time of year, especially in February, I’m looking for foods that are not only nutritious and filling, but will keep me warm from the inside out. For me, that’s why winter is crockpot season; even on the busiest days, I prep what I can the night before, throw it in the crockpot in the morning, and come dinner time there’s a delicious, home-cooked, hot meal waiting for me and my family.
On the dreariest winter days, there’s only one food I can turn to to warm me up, body and soul: my “Famous” crockpot chili! Check out the recipe below!
- Ground Beef – 2 lbs.
- 4 cans Kidney beans – 16oz. each
- 4 Tomatoes – peeled and diced
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies – 10 oz. each
- 1 large Onion – chopped
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper – chopped
- I package chili seasoning
- ½ tsp. of Salt
- ¼ tsp. of Ground Black Pepper
- Cook the ground beef until meat is no longer pink, then drain.
- Suggestion: you can add the salt and pepper to the meat while it’s cooking to really give the beef some flavor. You can also mix in a little of the chili powder for a robust, spicy dish.
- While beef is cooking, drain and rinse kidney beans, chop pepper and onion, and peel and dice tomatoes
- Helpful hint: to easily peel tomatoes, boil a pot of water on the stove and fill a bowl with ice water. When water is boiling, add whole tomatoes to water for 30 seconds. Remove with a spoon and place directly into ice water. After a few seconds, remove from the water and pull on the tomato skin. It should split easily and peel off with relative ease – no knife needed!
- When beef is cooked, drain, then add to slow cooker.
- Add packet of chili powder to beef in slow cooker.
- Layer in diced tomatoes, canned chilis, onion, pepper, and kidney beans.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For thicker chili, cook for slightly longer, as desired.