The World’s BEST Au Gratin Potatoes – Nicole Monturo
- Murray’s brand Old Aged English Cheddar (in the cheese section at Kroger) (white in color)
- Gruyere Cheese -1 block- Boar’s Head – (in Cheese section at Kroger) (white in color)
- Margarine OR Butter (6 to 8 T)
- 4 to 6 Large Russet Potatoes – peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup (or more) of chopped sweet onion
- 2 to 3 T of Flour
- Dash of Salt & Pepper to liking
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 1.5 Cups of Whipping Cream
- In a 9×11 baking pan – (ceramic or glass is best) – grease dish and set aside.
- Prep work:
- Peel and slice the potatoes and keep in a bowl of water to prevent browning from air exposure until you are ready to use the slices.
- Chop/dice sweet onion, grate Gruyere and Aged Cheddar
- Measure out all your remaining ingredients to be ready as it will make your cooking time with the cream sauce go easier and quicker – Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3T of butter until bubbling then add 1 T of Flour. Salt and Pepper to liking and stir constantly for 1 minute reducing heat to Medium high.
- Add ¼ cup of 1% milk, ¾ Cup of Whipping cream – stirring the whole time at medium to high heat. Drop in the diced onions and a pinch of Gruyere and a pinch of Aged Cheddar Cheese – all the while continuously stirring the pot.
- Layer the baking dish with potatoes slices – overlapping the slices as you cover the dish bottom.
- Pour your first cream sauce pan over the layered potatoes and then cover that with Gruyere cheese and Aged Cheddar.
- Place another layer of potatoes slices on top of the first layer
- Repeat Steps 6 and 7 and pour cream sauce over slices – then cover with more Gruyere and Aged Cheddar
- Cover baking dish with Aluminum foil tightly and place in oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from Oven – then remove Aluminum foil and place back in oven for 10 minutes
- Finally switch Oven from bake to Broil and brown up the top of the dish
- Remove and serve